How to Clean Your Shower Curtains
Shower curtains are one of those items that you probably forget to clean as often as you should. That can give stains, mildew, soap scum, and mold a place to thrive. To stop this build-up in its tracks, you should be cleaning shower curtains regularly.
That’s difficult to do if you’re unsure how to clean shower curtains. Luckily, the best way to clean shower curtains and liners is a lot easier than you probably think.
Ready to give your shower curtains and lines the spotless clean they deserve? Here’s how to clean shower curtains in your home.
Washing Shower Curtains & Liners
Many homeowners don’t know whether or not it’s a good idea to put shower curtains in the washing machine. After all, most shower curtains and liners are made of vinyl or plastic. These materials tear more easily than a lot of other fabrics, so they might seem like a bad fit for your washing machine.
Thankfully, your washing machine is perfectly safe for cleaning shower curtains and liners — so long as you take a few precautions.
Here’s how to wash plastic or vinyl shower curtains and liners in your washing machine:
- Load your shower curtains/liners, plus a pair of white or light-colored towels.
- Add laundry detergent and a cup of baking soda to the load.
- Set your washing machine to its lowest speed and run a warm water wash.
- Remove your curtains/liners when the wash is complete and hang from shower rod to drip-dry.
By washing your curtains and liners with towels, you’ll be protecting them against damage from the wash cycle. Better yet, the towels scrub away built-up mildew and soap scum, giving your curtains and liners a better clean.
If you’re worried that your curtains might be vulnerable to damage even after taking these steps, you can wash your curtains and liners by hand instead. Simply detach your curtains from their hooks, lay them on a tile floor, then use a baking soda paste and a microfiber cloth to clean away mildew and stains.
Preventing Shower Curtain Stains
Washing shower curtains should be on your monthly to-do list. However, you might notice stains building up in between cleanings. If you want to prevent these stains, you can do so with a little routine maintenance.
- Once a day, after everyone’s finished shower, simply spray the inside of your curtains with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. This will prevent soap scum, stains, and mildew from forming.
- When you clean your bathroom each week, use the water/vinegar mixture to spray the bottom of your shower liner. Scrub the liner lightly with a brush to remove any build-up.
The best part of this maintenance routine? You don’t need to worry about rinsing off your curtains. Any lingering residue will wash away with your next shower.
Need a hand keeping your bathroom spotless and sparkling? Maid Right® housekeeping services can help! Call (855) 624-3744 today to learn more and connect with your local cleaning team.