Cleaning hacks can change the way you look at cleaning.
Cleaning your house can be, at its best, boring and, at its worst, can make you want to throw a temper tantrum. There are a couple ways around this conundrum. You could just not clean your house but the tower of dirty dishes and run-away dust bunnies would potentially not make you feel great. You could hire a trustworthy cleaning company for a recurring service– a move we highly recommend. But during the in-between time, the time between routine cleanings, a light maintenance program is still a good idea to keep things from getting unlivable.
A great way to keep cleaning “fresh” and stave off what we call the “scrubbing anger” is to pick up new cleaning hacks.
These hacks are simple, innovative ways to get to a clean home. And many are alternatives to harsh chemicals and acids – much safer for your family and for the environment!
- Clogged drain: Pour a ½ cup of baking powder followed by ½ cup of vinegar down the drain. Let sit for 15 minutes and then follow with boiling water.
- Calcium build up in your kettle: Fill with vinegar and bring to a boil. Pour out hot vinegar and boil regular water into kettle. Boil normal water until the vinegar smell disappears.
- Icky tub: Grab a new broom, squirt the tub liberally with dish soap and scrub away! No need to get down on your hands and knees.
- Sweat stains: Mix 4 tablesppons of salt with 1 quart of hot water then scrub until the stains disappear!
- Dull faucet: Rub a half lemon on the spout to keep it shiny, longer! With an added bonus, it makes the whole bathroom smell fresher.
- Prevent mildew shower curtains: Dunk your shower curtain in a tub full of hot water and 2 cups of salt to create a protective layer of sodium crystals.
- Dull floors: Mix half a cup of witch hazel with one gallon of water to mop the floors! This depends on what your floors are made of first so always test a small patch or follow the manufacturer instructions for caring for your floors.
- Streaky windows: Instead of a rag, clean your windows with coffee filters! They won’t leave an annoying lint residue.
- Smelly shoes: Mix a couple drops of your favorite essential oil with witch hazel to spray in your shoes and soak up all the nasty smells.
- All-purpose cleaner: Soak orange peels in vinegar in a jar for two weeks. Pour into a spray bottle with a half cup of witch hazel and get ready to make your kitchen shine and smell great.
- Clogged iron: Pour a cup of apple cider vinegar in your iron, sit it upright and let it steam for five minutes. Pour out and refill with water to begin ironing without the clog!
- Dirty grout between tiles: Spread a paste of three parts baking soda and one part hydrogen peroxide over the grout. Leave for 15 minutes and then wipe off!
- Wine stains in your carpet: Soak up the stain without rubbing it in, then pour ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide and a squirt of dish soap into a spray bottle to spritz the stain. Blot with a clean sponge or cloth.
- Smudgy stainless steel appliances: Sprinkle baking soda and then spritz vinegar over the smudgy area. The fizzing means it’s working!
Have you tried any of these hacks? Let us know if you have any go-to cleaning hacks that you want to share!