How to Clean Your House and Avoid the Flu
House cleaning and home hygiene play a big role in flu prevention. At Maid Right®, disinfection and home hygiene are always at the forefront of our house cleaning services, and we take special care during flu season. Each year, our cleaners use our EnviroShield® disinfection system to safely eliminate the flu virus and other dangerous contagions from the homes we clean.
You might not have your own EnviroShield® system at home. But you can still mount an effective defense against the flu virus. The following house cleaning tips and home hygiene guidelines can help to keep your family protected during flu season.
Flu Prevention House Cleaning Tips
- Disinfect High-Touch Areas. Any surface, object, or area that family members regularly touch should be frequently and thoroughly disinfected. These include door handles, faucet handles, kitchen counters, tabletops, desktops, light switches, phone handsets, computer accessories, tablets, and remote controls. Be careful not to risk electric shock when disinfecting electronics.
- Disinfect Outside Items. Any items that leave your home — like clothes, purses, backpacks, shoes, and smartphones — can track germs back into your home. Launder and/or disinfect these items often.
- Use Microfiber Materials. Microfiber cloths and mop pads will trap bacteria and viruses during cleaning instead of smearing them over surfaces.
- Manage Air Quality. Prevent coughing and sneezing by managing your home’s humidity levels and by filtering the air in your home with HEPA-filter technology.
- Clean & Disinfect More Often. Stay on top of germs by cleaning more frequently. If you use a home cleaning service, consider asking them to clean and disinfect your home more often or during the fall.
Health & Hygiene Tips for Flu Season
- Get the Flu Vaccine. There’s no more effective defense against the flu than getting yourself and your family vaccinated.
- Wash Your Hands. During flu season, it’s important that you and your family wash your hands frequently (and properly!).
- Cover Coughs & Sneezes. Make sure that coughs and sneezes go into a Kleenex, not your hands. In an emergency, use your sleeve along the inside of your elbow or your shoulder.
- Wash Groceries. Wash fresh produce as soon as it comes home so that you don’t bring infectious foods into your home.
- Feeling Sick? Stay Home! If you or your kids start showing symptoms of the flu, stay home. Missing a couple workdays or school days is a small price to pay for keeping other workers and students safe from infection.
Keep the flu out of your home with your local Maid Right. Call (855) 624-3744 today to learn more about our EnviroShield® system and schedule a free house cleaning assessment.